Monday, July 21, 2008

Day Two: I'm the Man on the Silver Mountain

Where do I begin? I believe the word is Bittersweet; leaving Nebraska was difficult, but easy simultaneously. Tears were flowing, emotions surging, but it was all for good reasons. I think Dad summed it up best when he said "When your Mom and I cry, it's not because we're sad that you're leaving; We're proud of you. It's the fact that you won't be here, and it bums us out."

I hate to see anyone cry, especially when it's my Mom and Sister, but I knew it was out of pride that they were crying. I must say, it will be weird to not see my parents until November. I think I"ll get a true sense of what it is to be an 'adult' from this experience--if not, a start to said feeling.

We made our way through the horrifically boring state of Nebraska, keeping our eyes peeled for mountain tops, as my Dad said that towards Western Nebraska we should start seeing them. Well, in the words of Isabel "LIAR!" We got goose-egg in the entire drive out of Nebraska.

We hit Colorado a few hours after leaving Omaha, but it felt like an eternity. We opted, that day, to drive with the windows and sunroof open. It definitely increased our gas milage because we didn't use the A/C. It was also great to have fresh country air to breathe in, I'd even say 'refreshing.' We stopped at a Sinclair due to a tummy ache I had incurred. Quite possibly due to the 5-hour energy drink I'd guzzled--it had been in the glove box, and it was grossly hot. Got a couple pics of the gas station, though, which was fun.



After clowning around w/ the dinosaur, we made our way further into Colorado.  I found out that I'm certainly my father's son on the drive through the mountains.  Whipping around bends and up and down, I can definitely see how I got car sick every time I was in the backseat on car trips.  Without realizing it, we had driven 11 hours (12 if you don't include the hour we gained crossing the time zone). 

We used 'Delilah'--that's what we named my GPS, seeing as she has a woman's voice, we needed something by which to address her--to find a hotel in whatever city we picked out.  The city we chose, Glenwood Springs, sort of came back to bite us in the asses.  Everything around there closes at 10pm or so, even bars.  We managed to walk around and find a bar getting ready to close up, but happy enough to sell us a growler of their weiss beer.  We woke up Delilah, and asked her to show us where we can stuff our faces.  Her answer: Burger King.  We drove the 1.1 miles to the open Burger King, ordered 2 double whopper meals (yes, we're complete gluttons) and made our way back to the hotel room.  We commenced stuffing our traps with food and beer.  Needless to say, we both passed out shortly thereafter.

Small side note--sort of going back in time, but this is my blog, and if you don't like me rehashing things, tough cookies: Samantha made us some Rice Krispies Treats, and I was told that every time I started to get sad or think of family or anything, just eat one of them and it'll put a smile on my face.  Well, that was some amazing advice, and it seems to work, so thank you Munchkins, I love you.

Until next time, fellow travelers, the road calls my name....
-Uncle J.


Day Two Photos

No comments: