Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Day Three: "Now I'm Free, Free Falling"


Day Three is complete.  We traveled through 3 different states and saw a million different things.  Starting off in Colorado, our 'continental breakfast' promised by our hotel, turned out to be a complete farce.  It was hardly continental, but came off as more suburban: cereal, instant waffles, English muffins, etc.  I opted for a yogurt cup, banana, and green tea.  

Vince started off the drive, as he seems to be better in the day time--or let me rephrase that: I seem to do better in the afternoon hours.  Vince is good to drive whenever.  We traveled on I-70W towards Utah, admiring all the landscape.  Mountains, hills, little mining towns, it was all phenomenal.  We took some 150 pictures before we got out of Colorado.

Getting into Utah, we were in the zone, and then it happened: I spotted a billboard.  I mentioned it to Vince, and he asked if I was serious because if he turned around, that was it.  I was, so he did.  We were curious, and wasn't sure how long it was going to take, but we said 'F**k it!' and we each went skydiving for the first time ever!  It was exilirating.  We got an entire tour on the plane ride up, and then on the parachute down, we saw all of Colorado and Utah in a matter of minutes.  It was breathtaking, literally.  The diving coaches were super fun, took all the tension off and made it what we went for: fun.  We each opted for the video package and they said they may keep a copy for the tutorial because we were the one of the few jumpers that weren't saying how scared we were.  We had smiles on our faces and were pumped to jump out of an airplane at 14,000 feet!  Vince said it best: "We've seen crazy, now we're gonna see INSANE!"




All adrenalized and pumped up from the jump, we continued on our journey through Utah.  With 'Delilah's' help again, we found a Motel 6 in Page, AZ, which is only a couple of hours from the Grand Canyon.  The countdown of mile markers through Utah into Arizona, was sort of amusing.  Vince took another 150 pictures from Utah to Arizona.  The scenery would change colours ever so often, along with the lighting.   Greens, oranges, reds, grays, blues, etc.  It was magnificent!

Somewhere in some Navajo town in Arizona, we filled the tank up just in case we didn't see any gas stations the rest of the way.  We also switched up the drive, and Vince took the wheel while I manned the slowly depleting camera.  I took maybe another 20 pictures or so, as the sun was going down, the battery was dying, and a lot of the stuff, starts to look the same. (Actually it doesn't, but the camera can only capture so much.)

Getting to the Motel 6 in Page, AZ, it was about 8pm, and we were pooped.  We had asked 'Delilah' along the way to find us some food establishments near the motel.  She found one that peaked Vince's interest: Glen Canyon Steakhouse.  After settling in our room, which smelled like pee, we washed up and headed the 1-1/2 miles to the restaurant.  First on the agenda: beer.  They had 'big' drafts for $6 and 'small' for $3.50.  I opted for the 'big' Hefeweizen, which I think was actually a Hacker-Pschorr.  Vince had a 'big' Sierra Nevada, then followed it with a 2nd.  To sum up our meal: steaks were okay, salad bar was okay, soup was decent, service was not the best, and there was no ventilation in the restaurant.  I was sweating from the second I sat down until I walked outside.  Where oddly enough, it was cooler than in the restaurant.  I coined a phrase, which Vince thought was both hillarious and on-the-nose: "Exorbatant prices for sub-par meat."

Back in the room, I scavenged through the atlas while Vince was in the lobby with the laptop.  I zonked out from the food baby in my belly, and when I woke up Vince was just getting back to the room.  We cleaned up, and started to finish our growler of beer from the night before, now that the garbage can of ice I'd put it in cooled it down enough for human consumption.  Laughter and hijinx ensued.  We were both overtired and slightly buzzed, but our pee-smelling room, sub-par meal, and lumpy beds were all we needed to sleep.

Until the next installment: Rock & Roll!
-Uncle J.

1 comment:

Matthom said...

Great blog Grain! I enjoy reading about your journey. Keep up the posts. Pictures are great too - some of those are amazing shots.