Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day One: We Shall Ride Under a Black Flag, and Call the Streets Our Empire

Aiming to leave Chicago between 4 and 5AM, we didn't leave until 5:40AM.  Seems to be the theme of our trip, as you'll see....

First stop, 7-11 at Gross Point & Lincoln Ave in Skokie.  "Why there?" you ask.  Easy: it's one of my happiest places.  From when I can remember, I have always loved frozen treats, 'Slurpees' especially, and that particular 7-11 has always had the best ones.  Not only my favourite flavours, but the perfect consistency, too.  My sister, Abbie, used to take me there as a wee lad, and I've always gone there.  When we were kids, Vince and I would sneak out during sleepovers to go get Slurpees, Funnyuns, and Candy.  It's sorta the 'cornerstone' of my childhood, so I figure, "What better way to start the journey towards my new life than something that makes me so incredibly happy?!"



Slurpee in tow, we hit the road.  I-294S to I-88W, merging onto I-80W.  We stopped at the Iowa 80 Truckstop: "The World's Largest Truckstop" for breakfast.  Full of bacon, eggs, and biscuts n' gravy, we continued on I-80W to West Des Moines to visit Vince's family, Tony [brother], Karla [sister-in-law], and Isabel [niece].  It was great to see them and hang out.  Isabel has gotten SO big (she's 3), and has a pretty full vocabulary.  She'll repeat almost anything you say.  Funny enough, she kept calling 'Uncle Vince' "Beast." 

After a couple hours, we said our goodbyes and made our way back to I-80W towards Omaha, Nebraska.  Traffic was nuts, as there were lane closures and merging was a foreign language to many travelers.  We finally got to Omaha about 7pm and as I suspected, the munchkins (Samantha & David) were waiting frantically at the door.  As I pulled up, they ran out to give their Uncle J big hugs and kisses; they acknowledged Vince as 'Uncle Vince', as well.

We put the kids down for bedtime about an hour later.  Sam chose Uncle J to read her a bedtime story, which she usually does when I'm around.  She's gotten so big and she's SO smart, practically reading along with me.  I kissed her goodnight, and made my way downstairs for dinner.  Steak, corn-on-the-cob, and grilled tomatoes: yum!  After the table was cleared, we all sat around and had some beers and laughed our faces off.  Mom brought my favourite dessert: Eclair Cake; so we dug into that and furthered our food comas.

The night ended shortly thereafter; Mom and Bill headed back to the hotel, while Abbie, Pat, Vince, and I talked for a bit.  We, then, commenced with our 'goodnights and see you tomorrows'.  Tomorrow is a new day, and most likely will be a rough one...for all.

Until Tomorrow: Rock & Roll!
-Uncle J

No comments: