Thursday, July 21, 2016

Deer 1, Me 0

As I sit here on I-90N about 50mi from Butte, MT waiting the wrecker to come for the van, I am reflecting on how fortunate I am. Unlike the buck that decided to cross the interstate mere feet from my bumper. 

Looking into that poor s.o.b.'s eyes, still fixed on the full moon he was chasing, I am reminded how short life is. How precious each moment is. That poor deer was just going on a moonlight stroll, albeit in the middle of an interstate. There can always be other outcomes of this same scenario. Those eyes fixed upon the full moon, while bleeding out on the side of the road could have been me (or one of my precious passengers). Everything amounts to a series of moments - what if we hadn't stopped before Butte so baby can stretch and "Blondie" can pee? What if we drove past Ennis to find more vegetarian options or spaghetti? Would I be writing this? 

I was alert, awake and defensively driving. Determined to make it to Coeur d'Alene, ID in the next 3hours. I lucked out. Many other people have their noses in the phone or are nodding off on a dark, rural interstate at 11pm. It's all a series of moments and the choices we make within those moments. I'm not 100% sure this is one of those "better him than me" situations, but when I turned around to see my family, in one piece and unharmed, it made the previous 30-seconds fade away. I didn't think about the car or the buck. When I eventually did come back to the deer, I exhaled deeply and thought "better him than me. 

So maybe it's more like Deer 1, Me 5








No comments: