Monday, July 28, 2008

Day Nine: "Come On, Come On, We've Really Got a Good Thing Going. Come On, Come On, If You Think We're Gonna Make It, You Better Hang On to Yourself"

Well, this is it...the last day of vacation.  I woke up and laughed at my misfortune upon my torso.  Vince got a little, but his arms are way worse from the drive here.  First on the agenda was to check out, then head to Hollywood and walk around.  I had promised Vince one last In-N-Out journey before he left.



We parked near Amoeba Music on Sunset and Ivar and walked around the Farmer's Market for a few minutes.  We made our way towards Hollywood Blvd.  and walked towards  Highland.  We saw El Capitan theater, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, and the Kodak Theatre.  We cut down Highland to Sunset and went to In-N-Out for lunch, where Vince ate an identical meal as his first one in Vegas: A 'Double-Double' and a Cheeseburger.  I was starting to really feel my appetite dwindle, and got through a cheeseburger, but barely touched my fries.


We made our way towards the Guitar Center and Hollywood Rock Walk on Sunset, then back towards Amoeba Music.  We went in and I consoled myself with some music purchases: Backyard Babies "Stockholm Syndrome", High On Fire "Surrounded By Thieves" and when I found the 'Rockabilly' section, I nearly lost my sh**, but narrowed it to one album from there, The Legendary Shack Shakers "Believe."

Heading back to the car, slowly, with new music and food babies in tow, it took a few minutes to find the car.  We payed the parking fee and Delilah got us to LAX in decent time, but not too quick, either.  We laughed in the car a little bit, but it was for the most part, a quiet ride.  Our arrival at the American Airlines departure terminal was about 3PM, just as planned.  I helped Vince get his suitcase out and he said "No long goodbyes, bro.  I'll see you soon.  Good Luck." and he hugged me then turned around and went inside.

Leaving LAX, alone, I didn't know what to do or where to go.  I set Delilah for Tim's address, as that's the area I know the best.  I ended up going to the Old Navy in the Beverly Connection which is across La Cienega from The Beverly Center.  I picked up some flip flops and a shirt, then sat in the patio and made some phone calls.

Jackie said to come down by her and crash at her place, if I wanted to.  That was the only thing I had left in my agenda, so I made my way down to Santa Ana.  Jackie called and had to pick her friends up from Huntington Beach, but said she'd be back shortly after I arrived.  I said it was fine and I'd find parking.

It was really good to see Jackie and Wrigley, her dog.  As promised, I gave Jackson (my nickname for Jackie) a big hug.  We went in and fed Wrigley, and caught up.  I played with the dog for a bit and the 4 of us decided to order pizza for dinner.  It was decent, but at that point, my brain didn't really care.  The girls were all watching Gilmore Girls DVD's, and I sorta passed out on the couch half watching them.

I got up about an hour later, washed up and brushed me teeth and laid down on the floor with Wrigley.  I fell asleep petting him, and I guess he kept scooting towards me all night.  When Jackson woke up in this morning, Wrigs was laying right next to me.

That's about all I've got right now, but there may be more to come.  Any traveling I do, I will record on this blog.  It's been quite the journey and I'm glad I did it; T'was a long time comin'.  I miss certain things, here and there, about Chicago, but I haven't quite gotten 'homesick' yet.  Maybe I will, maybe I won't.  Who knows?  I'll miss my friends and family, but they're just a phone call away, and I love them all.

Til next time, Rock & Roll!
-Uncle J.

No comments: